Stay sun safe with a great sunscreen and self tanning products rather than sun-baking. St Tropez tanning products are a great way to get a safer, even, natural looking tan. Whether you choose the at home products or a spray tan at the salon, here's our top tips for getting the best results from your tan:
- Wax a day or two before tanning. Waxing leaves the pores open which can lead to an uneven tan if applied too soon.
If shaving, do so at least six hours before. Shaving also opens your pores and can damage the skin. Use soap and warm water to shave and then allow time for your skin to settle down.
Exfoliate before your tan and regularly if you love a good spray tan! Exfoliating removes dead skin cells, dirt, and oil from the surface of your skin leaving a smooth surface to apply to. Remember those hard to reach areas that often get missed and the tougher spots of your knees, elbows, knuckles, and ankles.
Apply a moisturiser and good all-over polish the night before tanning, but avoid any cream, oil, lotion, or other skin product that you’d normally use the day of your tan. This includes makeup and deodorant.
- Remove all jewellery before your tanning session.
- Wear dark clothing before and after your tan. The spray solution, particularly, can rub off onto your clothes. Loose fitting cotton is the best choice, including your underwear.
If applying the at home products, keep palms tan-free by using latex gloves or an applicator mitt when applying. Make sure you cover all over. Don’t worry if you go over the same area twice – the tan will only be patchy if you miss a bit, not if you double up.
- Gently smooth in a gradual or self tan, rather than rubbing it in.
- Avoid washing your hands for as long as possible in the development time.
- Your tan won’t get deeper the longer you leave it, re-apply on successive days for a darker tan.